We’ve been having some unseasonably warm weather here in Southern Manitoba this month, it’s 0C outside right now as I type up this blog post! But old Mother Nature has winter back in her sights and I’ve heard the extended forecast and we should be back to seasonally frigid temperatures by the end of January. So, I thought it best to get my soup game on and share one of our favorite pre-keto recipes that didn’t need too much modification – just removed potatoes – and we can still enjoy this one! Zesty and full of flavor! You could toss in cauliflower or diced radish as a good stand-in for the potatoes if you wanted.
- 500g Hot Italian Sausage
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 diced Roma tomato
- 5 cups bone broth
- 1 small bunch of kale, stripped and chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casings and fry over medium heat in a large saucepan, breaking up any really big pieces.
- Once the sausage is completely cooked, add the onion and garlic. Sautee for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped kale and let wilt. This will only take a few minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and bring back up to temperature.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
This is a very simple recipe and you can swap the sausage out for whatever type you like. You can also use spinach instead of kale. If you're missing potatoes, you could add 2 cups of steamed cauliflower florets too!