Yum! I grew up with the store bought eggnog in a carton every holiday and thought it was great! Now I make my own and there is just no comparison. Homemade eggnog wins hands down. Now make it keto and we have a real winner! As Dan would say “winner, winner, chicken dinner!”
- 8 large egg yolks (save your whites for another recipe)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 80g allulose
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- In a medium-sized bowl, blend egg yolks and sweetener until completely mixed, then it set aside.
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, heat the milk, cream and nutmeg over medium heat until steaming but NOT boiling. Turn down to simmer.
- While whisking the egg mixture constantly, SLOWLY ladle some of the hot milk mixture into it. Keep whisking continuously so the eggs don't scramble.
- Continue adding more of the milk mixture while whisking until you have most of the milk mixture mixed into the egg mixture.
- Now pour the egg-milk mixture back into the pot and turn up to medium-low and continue to whisk.
- You want to heat the egg nog mixture slowly until it coats the back of a spoon or is about 170F.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool and then pour into a jar, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
You can omit the vanilla extract and use a half of a vanilla bean pod if desired. I love the flavor from a fresh bean! Warm your milk and cream and add the split bean and let sit for 30 - 60 mins. Continue with the recipe, remove bean pod prior to chilling.