When we started keto, I made sure to make this drink so we could avoid the “keto flu” and not suffer! When you go from eating a “standard diet” full of carbs, your body needs water to process those carbs. When you restrict carbs, your body dumps the excess water and takes your electrolytes with it (sodium, potassium, and magnesium). When this happens it creates an electrolyte imbalance in your body and you feel like crap AKA “keto flu”. By replacing those electrolytes with this drink you can head off most of that crummy feeling and sail right through the initial stages of becoming keto-adapted. Some people may still feel under the weather, but this drink goes a long way to dramatically reduce those symptoms. You can buy an electrolyte supplement, but they can be costly and you have to watch for extra ingredients and sugars.
- 28 ounces filtered water (or sparkling mineral water)
- 2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar (BRAGG raw, unfiltered organic, in glass)
- 1 TBSP lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Nu Salt (No Salt or Light Salt)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (pink, grey, white)
- Optional lemon/lime slices to float in your beverage
- Measure all the ingredients except the water into a large glass jar - I use a quart mason jar.
- Stir to mix well
- Add water and stir again to mix.
- Sip this beverage throughout the day, Enjoy!
Optional: 5 - 10 drops pure liquid stevia (or more to taste) if you don't like the taste.