A quick and easy dinner that can be made with frozen chicken! This low carb keto dish is loaded with flavor and a favorite in our house. I love having fresh herbs in a garden box on the deck – I can just run out and grab what I need!
I also have more herbs in the garden as I use them A LOT. We go through lots of basil and I always plant a few varieties, this year we have 3 types. The smells are fabulous and just seem to elevate whatever dish you are making. If you don’t have fresh herbs, you can always substitute dried if gardening isn’t your jam!
Here you can see the 3 types of basil I have – you can use any type of basil you have, the taste will be fantastic!
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled, save your bacon grease!
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 oz fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 cups chopped spinach (or kale)
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 3 TBSP fresh basil, chopped
- 1 TBSP fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 TBSP chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Chop your bacon and fry until crispy, remove from pan and set aside. Pour off excess bacon fat, leaving 1 TBSP approximately in the pan for frying. Reserve another tablespoon for frying the onions and garlic after the chicken is done.
- Fry the chicken until completely cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Add the tablespoon of reserved bacon fat back to the pan, add onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add bone broth and whipping cream and heat over medium-low heat, whisking until simmering gently.
- Add fresh herbs, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Add in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese, stir to blend.
- Add your crispy bacon and spinach leaves. Let simmer over low heat for 1 minute.
- Add in the cooked chicken and let simmer an additional 2 minutes to fully reheat.
- Serve garnished with additional grated cheese if desired! Enjoy!
- Makes 4 servings. Leftovers reheat well.